Thursday, January 19, 2012

2 Broke Girls - 1x11 to 1x13 - Quick Thoughts

Listen...I just can't. I'm sticking with this show till the end of the season, but between being super behind and it...just being this show, I can't bring myself to do full recaps on the last three eps. So hit the jump for a quick overview of the three episodes I've missed so far...

1x11 - And The Reality Check
Noooo... There are a lot of things this show has going against it, but there's always been exactly one thing this show had going for it, at least for me. That horse. I love that fucking horse! But alas, it's for the best. Especially after the fucking freezing month we've just had, I would've been the first (lateness aside, shutup) calling them out for the sheer ridiculousness of keeping a horse outside in such weather. I was hoping Chestnut would outlast Marcel, but alas, it's not to be.

1x12 - And the Pop-Up Sale
I'm still not exactly sure what happened this episode. Maybe it's because I must be the last person on the planet who didn't know what a pop-up sale was. In my day, we just called them varmints. In my day, we also had a very low literacy rate and thus didn't know what words meant. The thing that stands out to be most in this episode, is that this is the second episode (third, if we count the Very Christmas Thanksigving) where normally level-headed Caroline lives up to her spoiled, naive delicate flower stereotype. At least for the length of the episode, until she apologizes in true sitcom style. But this pops up again in the next episode, and is either a very masterful subverting of type in order to give Caroline a new dimension to her character, or the writing on this show has somehow aiming to devolve into a lesser state than even the pilot. I'm holding out hope that it's the former, because the other positive thing this show had going for it was Caroline as a character. I liked that she wasn't the Paris Hilton clone she was marketed as being. And God help us if Max is left as the moral compass.

1x13 - And the Secret Ingredient
Chestnut! Also, the worst instance of Bad Caroline yet! I've never heard of an Extreme Couponing addiction, but I am intrigued. My beleaguered finances are gonna start looking into that shit real fast, but in the meantime, I'd be infinitely happy if this serves as this show's obligatory "Very Special Drugs" episode. I'm really happy they haven't forgotten Chestnut, and as much as I don't like Caroline's new behavior, I have to admit that having her bump Chestnut's visits was an effective shorthand for just how completely off she was. At least I hope it was shorthand. I'm still hoping this is some kind of character arc for her, finally coming to terms with the relative apocolypse her life has taken after not really dealing with it for so long. I will hit the eject button on this show even sooner if it becomes the Ditz and the Bitch show.

In other news, I actually did fucking love the whole tampon price hike story. I mean, don't get me wrong, the jokes were still Grade-A horrible ("I'm about to get my Tamp-on!", really?), but I thought the story itself was a nice bit of uncluttered right-vs-wrong that also showcased how creatively Max can deal with a problem. The tampons in the straw dispenser was a great visual gag that was only obvious in retrospect.

No comments: